Sunday, February 4, 2024

In February, We Were Swiss!

New month, new country.  I've been thinking an elaborate fondue dinner sounds curiously fun and delicious, so I decided this month it was time to jet off to Switzerland.  In truth, I have had fondue once before. I visited Switzerland when I was in my 20s, and we had fondue one night while in the Laterbrunnen Alps region...but that was a lifetime ago. I'm in my 50s now. It's time to get cheesy again!











 
Jac made Swiss food on a few other nights as well.  One night I came home from school to this Swiss dinner of unpronounceable dishes: rindfleisch rippe, geschmorter kartoffel-lauch, and gemuse. 

 
And one night we had Enchiladas Suiza.  Jac wasn't trying to go Swiss here, but it has Swiss in the name so I'm counting it!  (Enchiladas Suiza = Swiss-style Enchiladas).


I also made my breakfasts with muesli instead of my usual granola, since muesli is Swiss!  It was good...kinda indistinguishable from granola.


We also started a "make a clock" kit I bought off Amazon, given that Switzerland is world renowned for clock making.  In truth, Jac made the clock while I absentmindedly handed him different parts.  This was definitely a Jac hobby, not a Betsy one.  


As of now, the clock isn't done, but we'll get to it...someday.

And lastly, we played a little chocolate tasting game, given that the Swiss are famous for their chocolate!  I bought a bunch of 'odd' chocolate bars (chocolate and potato chips, chocolate and smores, chocolate and pretzels...) and then we tried to identify which was which.  It was actually pretty...and not as yummy as you'd think.

 
I was a fun month.  Jac's such a fun guy, up for any silly antics I dream up!

 
Other ideas for next time. Not sure if we'll 'revisit' Switzerland, but in case we do, here are a few other ideas that we didn't get to this time around.
  • Paper cutting is a popular traditional craft in Switzerland. Find a cute one on Etsy to do together.
  • Visit Midway Swiss Days and a dairy in Heber. Swiss Days happens the weekend before Labor Day, and while in the area, visit the Heber dairy that does tours (and has Alpine herds grazing in their pastures.)
  • Switzerland is home to the large hadron collider at CERN. Watch the best documentary about it called Particle Fever.
  • And if we're really bored, we reenact the annual Sausage Tossing celebration (Google "eis zwei geissebei english")  :)