Friday, June 30, 2023

June 2023 Happenings

It's Summer!!!
The month started with the very best day of the entire year....the last day of school.  Buh-bye kids.  Hellooooo freedom!!
 

We got a fence!
And the first week of June brought a much-anticipated moment: Best Vinyl came and finished the fence:

 
  
 
and it looked pretty darn good:



  
 
The garden rocked!
All month long, the garden grew and grew. It was so exciting to watch our babies grow...and then kill them and eat them at the hands of Master Jac.  Here he is cutting up some greens


and turning them into this scrumptious meal:

 
Look at these pretty cauliflowers!  I grew cauliflowers!!!!
 
I grow it, and Jac cooks it.  


From seed to plant to my plate.  Fantastic!

 
We Went on Trips!
For our big summer trip, Jac and I went to South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore and bunch of other things. You can read about it by clicking here.

And, I went on my annual girls trip, but instead of the usual St George trip (which had gotten super stale), we went to the Pacific Northwest to visit the girls.  You can read about it by clicking here.
 
Quinn and Holly Got Married!
Near the end of the month, Quinn and Holly got married!!  Look at this beautiful location, up Millcreek Canyon at this quaint little spot. 


 
I don't have a lot of pictures of the wedding or Quinn and Holly because they didn't want people to take pictures (ie: have their cameras out the whole time).  But I do have a picture of this happy couple:

 
And these two.  Aaah, so wonderful to see them together and so happy. :)

 
And then there was the after-party (which happened the evening after the reception).  Jac catered all the food for it and, being Jac, he toiled over it for several days. The spread was A-MAZ-ING!

 
It included this mind-blowing spread...
 
 
and this mouth-watering spread of meats of sandwiches...
 

 
and this well put together spread of dolmas...
 

and this beautifully created vegetable spread.

I'm sure everyone loved it, and I'm also sure Food Artist Jac loved putting it together.

Jac's Big Surprise!
While I was on the girls trip to Oregon and Washington, Jac had a surprise in store for me.  In less than one week's time, he build this amazing, atmospheric, romantic. beautiful pergola, complete with cover and lighting.  (Sorry, bad picture....doesn't show the structure much. I will retake it.)  I immediately LOVED it and can't believe how much it adds to the backyard.  It's perfect.  What a sweetie, and what a stud!  Jac can seriously do anything!!!


Oliver Braved the Great Outdoors
Since the yard is mostly enclosed at this point, I decided to finally let Oliver roam freely outside.  The cat enclosure is gone but he still uses the little doggy door to go in and out of the house.  

And he is LOVING it.  Unless it's scorching hot out (which it has been!!!), he's outside, strutting around his territory, sniffing, catching, napping.  One of his favorite spots is SMACK IN THE MIDDLE of my yarrow plants. The foliage is super fluffy and soft, so it makes sense. I was momentarily irked that they are all fairly ruined at this point, but then I realized I was glad he had this little hiding place that made him so happy.  :)

He did have one bad experience outside. On the first and only night he was allowed to go outside, he got in a cat fight!  I heard it happening and ran outside to safe my little Oliver.  Poor guy got bit pretty bad.  He spent the next few days sleeping it off (likely a fever and pain), and the wound took about 2 weeks to heal completely. Jac did an excellent job caring for him while I was gone (on the girls trip). When I returned, I took him to the vet, who said he was on the mend and would be fine!  Poor Oliver.  It's a cruel world out there buddy!